The New Year always provides us with new opportunities to say hello to new practices and disciplines. One that we would love you to commit to is reading the Bible with others from Restoration. We are making this as easy as possible for you and also providing some unique ways to help you better understand what you're reading.
We know that many of you have tried this in the past and for whatever reason you didn't finish, or even make it that far. Maybe you got too far behind and you just thought it easier to quit. DON'T! Maybe you were confused and you thought, "What's the point?" KEEP GOING! Maybe you didn't have accountability or anyone to process what you were learning? WE'RE HERE TO HELP.
Here's what you need to know:
1. To read (or listen) to the entire Bible in 1 year will take roughly 15 minutes of reading/listening a day.
2. You can do this by yourself or as part of a community.
3. If you choose to do it by yourself, there are a TON of options to choose from. See this RESOURCE page to help you if you plan to read through an app. If you prefer a PDF to print off, you can find many to choose from HERE. Even if you choose this route, please keep reading because there is still valuable information and opportunities for you.
4. If you choose to read as part of a community, please SIGN UP HERE to join the Bible Recap Bible reading plan. This will take us through a chronological reading of scripture in 2021. PLEASE NOTE, you do not have to participate in the RECAP if you don't want to. It is roughly a 6-8 minute recap of what you've learned and will clarify some things, teach you a few things and help you see the character of God in what you're reading.
5. If you would like to listen to the daily recap, you'll want to subscribe to the "Bible Recap" podcast wherever you get your podcasts: iTunes | Spotify | Stitcher | Podbean | Google | Google Play | YouTube
6. If you'd prefer the plan in print, HERE YOU GO.
7. To help you prepare for the recap and this daily discipline...and to learn a little more of what you're getting in to, take some time between now and January 1 to listen to these 6 introductory podcasts:
Prep Ep 2: How I Learned to Love (Reading) the Bible
Prep Ep 3: Why Reading the Whole Bible is Important (interview with Lee McDerment)
Prep Ep 4: Preparing to Read the Bible
Prep Ep 6: Reading the Bible in Community
8. The last Thursday of each month, Pastor Ross and Josh Logan, The Director of Spiritual Formation, will be hosting a Bible Replay. Please know this is different than the Daily Recap. We'll be summarizing what we've read over the past month as well as providing a time for Q+A. Please let us know if you'd like to be invited to the monthly Replay.
9. Lastly, beyond the text itself is a whole school of knowledge on HOW to read the Bible. This Spring we will be offering our class, Understanding the Bible. If you would like to join this three week course on how to read scripture, please let us know and we'll be in touch with more details later in January.
We're kicking things off with Genesis 1 on January 1. We're praying for you and will be as you journey into the life-changing word of God!!
And please do not hesitate to ask questions.